Click to Call
Featured Insurance Blog

What are the Differences Between Condo and Homeowners Insurance?

One of the key and most important differences between condo and homeowners insurance is that with a condo, you only need to protect the interior of your home and the objects inside of it, whereas, with homeowners insurance, it needs to cover everything from the land to the property itself. Generally, there are two types of condo insurance – individual condo insurance and association insurance. Typically, a condo owner is only responsible for paying insurance for their individual unit, while the association insurance covers public spaces and damage to the building’s exterior. A portion of your monthly or annual dues will likely be used to help subsidize the cost of the association’s insurance policy. Be sure to request a copy and read the fine print of the association’s insurance policy to know exactly what you may be responsible for. 

Outside of the aforementioned distinction regarding what a condo owner is responsible for versus a homeowner, the two policies are largely similar. When shopping for condo insurance, be sure to purchase enough liability coverage to protect yourself should someone like a friend or repair person be injured while on your property. Additionally, adequate personal property and dwelling coverage will help protect yourself from having to pay for costly qualified repairs to your unit.

Shopping for a condo insurance policy does not have to be a challenge when you use the team at Great Southern Agency in Tomball, TX. Not only do we take the time to learn about our customers, but also we’ll be with you every step of the way to answer any questions you have. Give us a call today to schedule a no-obligation consultation with one of our talented team members.